As an action RPG with rogue-lite mechanics, vessel progression is an essential component of Sipher Odyssey. The rogue-lite nature of dungeons results in players having to start over in a given dungeon after they exit or die. As such, the vessel’s level and abilities provide a measure of progress and give a sense of accomplishment, helping them tackle levels they were previously unable to complete.
Leveling and awakening vessels allow players to increase their stats, unlock new skills, and become powerful enough to tackle challenging dungeons and bosses.
The player must use their vessel to defeat enemies and complete dungeon runs, accumulating XP to upgrade to the next level.
Once the required XP has been gathered, players can level up their character.
The amount of XP required to level up increases with each level. Despite this, it is beneficial to level up characters, as it increases their base stats and allows players to progress further in their Odyssey.
- Max Health: Determines the amount of damage you can take before it dies. The higher the Max Health, the more punishment you can withstand.
- Speed: This stat determines how quickly you can move. A high speed allows you to dodge enemy attacks more effectively.
- Strength: This stat affects the damage you deal with melee attacks. The higher your Strength, the more powerful your strikes will be.
- Defense: This stat determines how much damage you can reduce from incoming melee attacks. A high Defense means you receive less melee damage and can absorb more hits.
- Precision: This stat affects the damage you deal with ranged attacks. The higher your Precision, the more accurate and damaging your shots will be.
- Evasion: This stat determines how often you can dodge incoming ranged attacks. A high Evasion means you take less damage from enemy projectiles.
Players will reach a level cap as they level up their vessels. These can only be unlocked through Awakening, which is a process performed via Generisium. The Awakening process provides an increase to the vessel's max level cap and unlocks or improves skills and augmentations.
Awakening Levels are represented by stars (*), with each star indicating an increased level of awakening. As of now, all vessels start at one star (1*) and can be awakened up to a maximum Awakening Level of 5 stars (5*).
To awaken a vessel, players must sacrifice a certain number of vessels of the same Sub-race and with the same awakening level.
Illustration — Awakening Characters
Let’s assume a player wants to upgrade a 3* NEKO Crystalis after reaching its max level cap, they must use (sacrifice) two more 3* NEKO Crystalis as materials to awaken the source NEKO Crystalis to 4*. This newly awakened 4* NEKO Crystalis will now have more levels added to the max level cap, and improved skills and augmentations.
Note: The numbers in the example above are only for illustration purposes and do not necessarily represent the final number of characters needed for the awakening process. Additionally, Genesis Characters cannot be used as materials to awaken other characters.